Changing the World with Books, Narwhals, and Letting Kids Say “No”
with Lei Wiley-Mydske
This conversation starts with books, then goes into more books, takes a turn into self-advocacy, and into the powerful message for therapists working with autistic kids. And if you’re wondering, we’ll get to the narwhals too. Our guest, Lei Wiley-Mydske, is an Autistic and otherwise neurodivergent and disabled writer, artist, advocate, activist, and parent. Lei runs so many cool projects – including a neurodiversity library inside of a tattoo shop – that we discuss in this episode.
For the latest from
Two Sides of the Spectrum…
Check out our free masterclass on strengths-based approaches.
Learn more from and about Lei’s work & community involvement:
- Ed Wiley Autism Acceptance Library
- Which features the Neurodivergent Narwhals!
- Co-owner and shop manager of the Stanwood Tattoo Company in Stanwood, Washington.
- Stanwood-Camano Alliance for Equity (SAFE)
- Community Outreach Coordinator for the Autistic Women and Non-Binary Network (AWN)
- PFLAG Stanwood-Camano
- Sincerely, Your Autistic Child – in which Lei has a chapter entitled, “Change the World, Not Your Child”)
Explore Lei’s book, movie, and blog/website recommendations:
- We Move Together by Kelly Fritsch and Anne McGuire
Once Upon An Accommodation by Nina G., and it’s illustrated by Lei and Dave
- Just Right For You’: A Story About Autism by Melanie Heyworth
- The Awesome Autistic Go-To Guide by Yenn Purkis & Tanya Masterman
- By Sarah Kapit: ‘Called Get a Grip, Vivi Cohen!’, ‘The Many Mysteries of the Finkel Family’.
- ‘What Every Autistic Girl Wishes Her Parents Knew’ (which inspired Sincerely, Your Autistic Child)
- Ask and Tell by Stephen Shore
- Radical Neurodivergence Speaking blog by Kassiane Asasumasu
(Re-)Listen to previous Two Side of the Spectrum podcasts about self-advocacy:
- Self-Advocacy, Work, & Autistic Girls and Women with Emily Lees
- Self-Advocacy & Inclusivity: Changing the Paradigm with Zosia Zaks
- Teaching Self-Advocacy with Dr. Stephen Shore
- Autistic Motherhood & Self-Advocacy with Sarah Selvaggi Hernandez
Join in the conversation about this episode on Facebook: Learn Play & Thrive: Autism Resources for Professionals